1/10/2008

A little color

From the sun and sea of Barcelona to the showers and sea of Seattle.  I'm back.  Partially.  My mind is definitely here, but my body, somewhere over the Atlantic.  I'll have plenty of wonderful wonderful stories of Barcelona (and London New Years) once I get my pictures up; this hasn't happened yet, so I'll wait.
Today was a long and bitterly cold Thursday, seriously wearing on my psyche.  Until I picked up my farmshare and opened up a box of glorious, glorious color.  This week's box included cabbage, red potatoes, celery, yellow onions, red beets, sweet potatoes, leeks, rainbow chard, baby carrots, curly parsley, fresh mint, apples, juice oranges and a mango.  Nothing makes a dark winter night like a treasure trove of fresh produce.
The farmshare has completely changed my cooking life.  Local, fresh, organic, it forces me to cook things I've not ever invited to my table before.  Two months ago, I had never eaten a beet or a sweet potato.  Now I can't live without them. 
I might even like looking at these fruits and veggies as much as I like eating them.  Oh I can't wait for summer produce.  
  

No comments: